How to cook eggs in a Rice Cooker
Do you want perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs? Do you also think it’s annoying to grab a huge pot, fill it with water, and then meticulously time the boiling of your eggs until you THINK it’s ready?
If so, then the best thing you can do is to buy a top rated egg cooker.
The second best thing you can do is to grab your rice cooker from out of your kitchen appliances and use it to cook your eggs!
What’s a rice cooker?
A rice cooker is a small kitchen appliance that is used to cook rice. It steams it and usually features an auto shut off.
However, it doesn’t have to only be used for rice. Basically, it’s a steamer, so it’ll steam any food that you place in there.
If you’re interested in getting a rice cooker, there are basically two types. The first type is electric and the second is non-electric. I suggest going for an electric one!.
The steps to cooking eggs in a rice cooker
- Using a measuring cup or similar, pour water into the cooker.
- Put the lid on and switch on the cooker.
- Select the steam function and turn on.
- For soft boiled eggs then it may take between 5-7 minutes.
- For hard boiled eggs it may take between 10-12 minutes.
- As soon as you remove the eggs from the cooker place them into a bowl of cold water (for easy peeling)
Things to Remember
Always ensure that your cooker’s lid is placed securely on top. Since the eggs are cooked using steam, having an unsecured led could be dangerous. Or at the very least, it won’t cook your eggs!
Cooking eggs this way does take some back and forth to determine the ideal water level and cooking time. But doing it this way may save you some money and counter space.